Sunday, March 29, 2009

Abel Tasman


I recently went on a weekend excursion to the beach paradise known as the Abel Tasman region. Billy and I did a three day trek through the region and stayed in huts we had reserved along the way. The place is gorgeous, filled with bays and beaches that blow you away. The pictures don't really do it justice, but take a look anyway. =)

The busses on the way there didn't 'match' our schedule, so we had to hitch hike (using homemade hobo signs). Seven rides and around 5 or 6 hours later we got to the trail head, but far too late. People were looking at us like we rode the short bus to the track, so we decided to take a water taxi halfway to our first hut. The second day we hiked around 25 kilometers and passed out early consequently. The final day was a short 2 hour hike out, where we hitched a ride to Nelson and took a bus to our ferry. Epic weekend.


Abel Tasman

2 comments:

  1. Great Pics! Nothing screams "we're not from here" quite as good as a sign that says "will pay for gas"...

    Ginger and I did that trek in 1996. We met a woman on the trail that was from Portland, and she gave us the news that there torrential rains and that the Willamette river was flooding. That was a big distraction, but we managed to enjoy it anyways.

    Have you done any sea kayaking yet???

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa, not only does it scream "we're not from here" but also "we are Americans". We ended up abandoning those signs for our beautiful thumbs after the first guy picked us up, I just thought they were funny.

    That sounds like a good story, I'd like to hear that sometime, but no I actually haven't done any kayaking at all since I have been here. I had the opportunity to at Milford sound but I opted for a motor-boat tour of the bay instead b/c I wanted to see as much as I could. I wish I could have gone at Abel Tasman though! I hear there are beaches that are only accessible by either private boats or kayaks... I was envious because a lot of the beaches had too many people on them. Ah, well there's another reason to come back I guess!

    ReplyDelete